Resources for Families with Gender-diverse Youth
Parental support is the #1 predictor of good mental and physical health outcomes for LGBTQ+ youth.
Websites for youth and families:
https://genderspectrum.org/ – online groups for pre-teens, teens, parents and even grandparents with the goal of “creating gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens”.
http://www.genderodyssey.org/ – “international conference focused on the needs and interests of transgender and gender diverse children of all ages, their families and supporters, and the professionals who serve them”. Annual conference for families caring for gender-diverse children.
https://pflag.org/ – “PFLAG is the first and largest organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people, their parents and families, and allies.”
https://www.pflagannapolis.org/ – local PFLAG chapter with information for support meetings for tweens, Rainbow Youth Alliance (RYA) LGBTQ+ teens, LGBTQ+ adults, and meetings for families and allies.
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/ – “provides accredited life-saving and life-affirming programs and services to LGBTQ+ youth”
Specialty Care for Gender-Diverse Youth
- Children’s National Medical Center – Gender Development Program – A Multidisciplinary Program for Gender-Diverse Youth and their Families https://childrensnational.org/departments/gender-development-program
- Johns Hopkins Hospital – Center for Transgender Health – Gender affirming care for adolescents and adults – https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/center-transgender-health/
- Johns Hopkins Hospital – The Emerge Gender and Sexuality Clinic for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults – “provides integrated, interdisciplinary adolescent, social work and psychology services for transgender and gender nonbinary youth ages 6 to 25 years”
- Chase Brexton and the LGBT Health Resource Center’s Trans Care program – “provide supportive and sensitive care to people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, races, religions, and socioeconomic statuses” https://www.chasebrexton.org/services/trans-care
Books for Gender-Diverse Youth
- The A-Z of Gender and Sexuality by Morgan Lev Edward Holleb
- Becoming an Ally to the Gender-Expansive Teen: A guide to parents and carers by Anna Bianchi
- Coming Around: A Guide to Parenting Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Kids by Anne Dohrenwend
- The Conscious Parent’s Guide to Gender Identity: A Mindful Approach to Embracing your Child’s Authentic Self by Darlene Tando
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Trans (But Were Afraid to Ask) by Brynn Tannehill